Submit Your Work
Please follow these instructions carefully. The editors will not review or respond to materials that are improperly submitted. Improper submissions will be discarded.
We are looking for the very best material by students (ages 8–16). Material may include cartoons, songs, stories between 500 and 1200 words, puzzles, photographs, artwork, games, editorials, poetry, and plays, as well as any other creative work that can fit in the pages of the magazine or on the website. As long as it's creative, we're interested!
All materials must be mailed* to:
P.O. Box 8813
Waco, Texas 76714-8813
To be considered, all submissions must:
- Be original. Upon acceptance of a work, we will request that a legal guardian sign our standard contract granting copyright permission. The contract will be mailed with notification of acceptance. Materials should also not be under consideration by any other publisher.
- Be submitted by the author, parent, or teacher. Each piece must be labeled with the child’s name, birthday, grade, school, and home address, and must include a cover letter. If you have an e-mail address, include that as well. This will help us get in touch with you if needed.
- Be sent in its own envelope via first class mail. Do not send more than one submission in each envelope. Teachers, please do not send more than 3 submissions in each envelope. Note that CK cannot be responsible for losses in the mail or for damage due to faulty packaging.
- Include a self-addressed, stamped envelope (SASE) for a response. Do not seal the SASE. Submissions without a SASE will not be considered. Submissions will not be returned. Teachers must include a SASE for each submission.
- Be typed on 8½ x 11-inch white paper. Use only one side of each sheet. Include author's name at the top of each page.
- Be carefully prepared and proofread. All games/activities requiring solutions must be accompanied by the correct answers.
- Note: Please keep a copy of any work submitted.
If you are submitting artwork (drawings, paintings, photographs, etc.):
- Send a hi-res color copy or a hi-res photo of the material. CK will solicit the original work if it is accepted for publication.
- Illustrations, cartoons, comics, and other graphic items should be completed in black ink, felt pens, colored pencils, or paints, i.e., lines should be made dark and easily visible.
- Names should be printed on the back of the artwork or photograph—not on the front.
We look forward to seeing your published work!
Accepted work will appear in a print issue of the magazine within 24 months (8 issues) of acceptance or may be selected as a featured piece for the CK website! Students whose work appears in a print issue will receive a free copy of the issue containing their work. Students whose work is featured on the website will receive a link to their published work. Please note that CK reserves the right to edit submissions.
*Please note: At this time, we can only accept online submissions from international students and teachers. All other submissions must be sent via mail. To submit online, you must contact CK prior to submitting work. Please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.